Still Having Fun After Sixty

I turned 66 this week and was it ever fun!

Nine of my friends from the high school class of '71 met me at a local restaurant, which is something we do every month. This month, though, I set the lunch date on my birth date. 

I specified "no gifts, no cards," but did they listen to me? So much fun!




Aging can be anything you decide to make it, as long as you still have good health. Here are some ideas on how to have low cost – no cost fun with friends.

About ten years ago (age 56) I made a decision, and it’s one I’m so thankful I chose. I decided that wherever I go I would:

1. Smile at every person I saw. When I was young I was very shy. I could go to any event and be too scared to talk, but no one talked to me either. Sad. Later in life I decided that no one should have to live like that so I make every effort to smile at everyone. And every time, people (even strangers) smile back!

2. Speak to anyone nearby if they weren’t already busy with something else. This works at church, in the grocery line, at nearly any event. If you’re friendly and nice, people respond to you.

3. Search for old friends. Facebook is a great place to start your search. Meanwhile don’t forget your current friends. You know, make new friends, keep the old (modified from the poem by Joseph Parry)



4. Make your own groups - If your friends are part of a group, (e.g. church, school, club, work), set up a specific Facebook page for each set of friends. Then invite those friends to join your new Facebook group.

5. Plan gatherings. Some groups will get together monthly, some every few months, and some just once a year. Take the lead on planning lunches or other outings. Ask members to help by recommending places to eat, more people to invite, and when to get together.

6. Be the encourager. When your group meets, get there first and greet each person as they arrive. If someone seems to be seated in a corner where it’s difficult to talk to many people, be sure to chat with that person. Show the love!

7. Stay in touch via Facebook, email, text – between gatherings. Just a short note will work.

That's how I'm still having fun after 60. You can too!


Mary



Please leave a comment below! I love to hear from you!

Comments

  1. I love this! Great advice, and I love your positive, inspiring attitude!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment