Life in the Suburbs

I'm a country girl by birth and raising. But when I turned eighteen and graduated from high school, I headed straight to "town."



Back then there were virtually no jobs in the country. The prison was one of the few places to work, but I wanted an office job.

The little stores were owned and run by families. Sandy Hook Store, Maidens Store. Both owned by individuals whose families helped out. Sweet places, but no jobs.



So I went to work for a large insurance company in town, and soon moved into an apartment with a coworker.

Well! I could hardly believe the ease of life in town. A huge local library. McDonald's. Shopping mall across from where I worked - which included Woolworth's and Murphy's, but also a local department store, Miller & Rhodes.



And I had money! Money to spend. So I often ate lunch at the Woolworth's counter. And bought new clothes at Miller & Rhodes. The first thing I bought was a long, camel-colored coat. I thought I was "it" in that coat ... but much later came to learn that camel is a bad color for this pale girl - ha!

I loved everything about suburban living because of the convenience to everything. Plus I loved being able to look out of our apartment window and see people coming and going. Knowing other people were nearby.

I've been living in and loving the suburbs ever since.


Mary 

Comments

  1. Hi Mary, great post. It looks like life was charming where you grew up. But I can understand wanting to move to town. I was a country girl also and my mom didn't drive so we only got to go to town occasionally. When I was in town at my grandmothers I can remember eating lunch at Woolworth's counter too. What fun! Going to the library was a great thing to do also..Thanks for the great memories and for your kind visit also..Happy Monday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary ... It’s such fun to recollect our past and see where our dreams have taken us... I'm sure that you looked beautifiul in the camel coat. Wasn't it lucky that you did find a job... Now , I was just the opposit of you, I was a city girl, who moved to country. I don't mind driving, plus I love the looking at all the beautiful scenery. My dad used to complain because I always took the long way around in the country to get to the city( ha ha)...I just love seeing the horses and chickens along the way around... Often, the sight of a newborn Spring filly would just make my day( Ha ha) ... Thanks for jogging my memory bank ...now I'm thinking back to the good old days too... Enjoy your week, my Friend...Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment