God's Word This Week

I love reading the Bible! To read the history of all God has done throughout the centuries is to increase our faith.



Lately I've been focused on the Psalms. I'll share a few of my "underlined" verses that have spoken to me repeatedly over the years.

Psalm  53: 5   There they were, overwhelmed with dread, where there was nothing to dread.

I admit that I have been filled with dread way too many times.

* my dad had a heart attack
* starting a new job
* way back when my brothers were in Vietnam
* when I realized I'd lost control of my car when driving on an icy road
* when my children wander from the faith

Is there an answer to all this dread? Yes, in God's Word there is!

Psalm 55:16-17  But I call to God, and the Lord saves me. Evening, morning, and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.

Sometimes I'm so caught up in my dread I forget to pray! I know, ridiculous, right? But I'm just keeping it real. Eventually, when the pain or sorrow become so overwhelming, I finally fall to my knees and cry out to God.

In the Old Testament the Lord often took down the Psalmist's enemies. In the New Testament, and in even missionaries lives today, He often lets us continue to suffer.

However! He is always with us and will strengthen us for whatever trials come. Even if they last forever.

Here's an interesting (and heartbreaking) article about a missionary who gave all (just recently) to share the gospel.

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Local-missionary-Charles-Wesco-killed-while-working-with-family-in-Africa-499021841.html


Mary

Comments